Sewickley Cemetery, established in 1860, began with the purchase of 22 acres of land on a hill above Sewickley in 1859. The land was originally purchased from the Rev. Robert Hopkins, and his name now identifies the street that provides access to the cemetery entrance.
After considerable work and expense for grading and creating roadways, the cemetery was ready to open in the fall of 1860.
Although the official opening ceremony took place on Nov. 1, 1860, the first interment took place several days earlier on Oct. 12, 1860, due to the untimely death of 27-year-old Liddie Cox Fundenberg, wife of Dr. Walter F. Fundenberg. Mrs. Fundenberg was buried at the very crest of Section A, high above the village below. Her weathered headstone still marks her grave and commemorates the cemetery’s first burial. The cemetery has continued to grow, and now occupies 80 acres of manicured land overlooking Sewickley and the Ohio River Valley. Nearly 14,000 people are now interred or entombed in the Sewickley Cemetery, and the words of D. N. White, the cemetery’s first superintendent, still ring true today:
“There is an absolute necessity to Sewickley Cemetery, and the comfort and consolation it affords to our citizens who are called upon to provide a place where they can respectfully and safely inter the loved ones they have lost.”
Maps and articles highlighting some of the historic graves at the Sewickley Cemetery are available at the cemetery office. A self guided tour can be taken using those documents.